I am sooooo excited right now.
Having made the glittery girls, and them being of such a success, I went back and got another pair of pointes, some leather, glue, staples etc etc and started on my next project…off white, knee high boots with an Edwardian feel.
The idea isn’t obviously new, due to the availability of cheap leather and “plastic-fantastics” all over the internet. I think the problem with the overall design (apart from the cheap construction and materials) is that the designer doesn’t wear them; and therefore doesn’t have a clue as to how a great ballet heel for walking should even start.
It is true there is not an original thought – and parallel “inventing” goes on all the time. Need causes inventions, or perceived need, anyway. Who would have thought a backwards blanket with arms would have taken off like it did???
So, I do not claim the idea; just the method. :-P The welt and shank are hand made from leather…I showed the tutorial in an earlier entry. Finally got to use them…lol I actually forgot that I’d made them; and was going to make another set, when I found them slipped away in the craft cupboard. I’ve forced the “enpointe” angle in these ones to be the most extreme; I need a 9″ heel underneath these ones… . My size 37 ballet heels are a lot shorter than that… I cut the leather to fit my legs, exactly…they have an outer “flap” that will button up with brass buttons on the outer side. I will either add mink or some white faux fur. Tolstoy‘s Anna Karenina inspires me.
So, I’ve affixed the leather upper to the pointe shoe skeleton. I have a lot of work to do, and quite frankly I need to be better organised. This was a “let’s see what happens if I do this..” so it’s trial by error to be honest.
Will have them done in the next week or so, I imagine, and will do an outdoor test run with them…so sick of being inside.
Have a great day